d.mon X Error

GHATCHER GERRY at omdc.gso.uri.edu
Fri Jun 19 09:19:00 EDT 1992

Date sent:  19-JUN-1992 07:46:11

Hello Grass people:

I have just upgraded my DECstation 5000/200 from ULTRIX4.2 to ULTRIX4.2a and
in the process I had to tar my grass system and then untar after the upgrade.
After the upgrade I can't get d.mon to start an X window. I don't think its
a problem with the ULTRIX upgrade but rather the tar and untar of the grass
software (permissions or something). I believe this to be the case because none
of my other X-window applications are acting differently, and d.mon had
permission problems from the start:
**********output from d.mon************
GRASS 4.0 > d.mon start=x0
Sorry, permissions on </usr/local/grass4.0/dev/fifo.0ba> (444) should be 0666
Have GRASS adminstrator check etc/monitorcap file

************so I do this ********************
GRASS 4.0 > chmod 0666 /usr/local/grass4.0/dev/*

*************and try again*******************
GRASS 4.0 > d.mon start=x0
X Error:  BadMatch - parameter mismatch
  Request Major code 78 ()
  Error Serial #265
  Current Serial #266
Please start graphics monitor <x0>.
Error - Graphics monitor <x0> not running!
Problem selecting x0. Will try once
Please start graphics monitor <x0>.
Error - Graphics monitor <x0> not running!

The above error seems vaguely familiar but I don't remember why. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Gerry Hatcher

Ocean Mapping Development Center|      gerry at omdc.gso.uri.edu {Internet}
University of Rhode Island      |            cbeam::gerry {span}
voice (401)-792-6940            |            fax (401)-792-6849