GRASS 4.0 and directory location/protection

Richard Wagener wagener at gown.das.bnl.gov
Thu Mar 5 15:36:32 EST 1992

> John Miller wrote:
>
> I have a question regarding setting up GRASS for use by multiple users
> for all you experienced system managers.
...stuff deleted...
> To continue, for various reasons our spearfish database is in a
> different file system partition to our user's directories.  When a
> user creates a mapset using the spearfish database I would like the
> subdirectories associated with their mapset to be created under their
> own directory  where they are subject to disk quota limits etc.
>
> Can this be done?

This is how I set it up here.  I created a local grass database
directory, say /grass.  In that I created world writable
subdirectories 'spearfish' and 'global'.  And in each of these
subdirectories I created symbolic links to the remote file-servers
GRASS database e.g.:
ln -s /remote/grass/spearfish/PERMANENT /grass/spearfish/PERMANENT

This remote filesystem can then be read-only.  Also individual users
can use this setup in their own quota limited area without needing
system privileges.

--
Tschuess ...rick...
Richard Wagener				|
Bldg. 426, rm. 43			| IP: wagener at bnl.gov
Environmental Chemistry Division	| DEC: 44048::rwagener
Brookhaven National Laboratory		| phone: 1-516-282-5886
Upton, New York 11973, U.S.A.		| fax:   1-516-282-2887