RIM reply to John Miller: ccjwm@jcu.edu.au

Ronald E. Thomas ront at niwot.CFNR.ColoState.EDU
Tue Sep 22 10:43:12 EDT 1992

Hello John,
	Look for RIM in the src.* directories of the basic GRASS package;
I forget exactly which one.  (Try going to where your GRASSscripts are and
doing a <find src* -name rim (or RIM) -print >  You will need a FORTRAN
compiler to compile the RIM code.
       You will then need to compile the v.db.rim and s.db.rim GRASS programs;
they are compiled with "gmake4.0" (standard `C' stuff).  If you have
archived the old GRASS-(U or P) mailing lists, look in there for references
to RIM, some of the entries will help you get started.  Also, a template is
appended to this letter that will help you set up a simple database;  I
have yet to find an `easy' way to set up a database that allows for the
`automatic' entry of multiple text fields.
	Basically, we just printed out the GRASS v.db.rim and s.db.rim
manual pages and are using them as a guide.  Personally, I find the
'command' line method easier than the 'menu' driven method.  You will most
likely receive advise about obtaining the RIM Users manual;  it has
nothing to do with the GRASS interface programs, and is an extremely
difficult document, detailing the workings of RIM.  (The only reason RIM is
used as the database of choice is because it is public domain, ie.  FREE!)
	All the negatives aside, it has proved extremely useful to us here
at Rocky.  One important thing to consider when you use RIM to separate
polygon (area) vectors; RIM will only search for and create new maps of the
exact features you `query' for, it will NOT include islands, (separate
catagories within the larger, selected desired polygons).  This limits its
usefulness when attempting to separate features from an intricate map such
as a vegetation data layer, but still, its much better than editing a copy
of a map manually with v.digit.
	I hope this helps!

----------------------------BEGIN TEMPLATE FILE------------------------

.make
TYPE X DATABASE
===============

Record # : ~sSeqNum~
Att Num: ~iAttNum~
Name: ~tName~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reference Map: ~mRefMap
Vector Type: ~vVtype~
North: ~yNorth~~~~~
East: ~xEast~~~~~~
.end

-------------------------------END TEMPLATE FILE------------------------

	Use this file with the `.input' command immediately after you
start v.db.rim interactively (ie., `v.db.rim database_name').  Then read in
the desired vector map(s) with `.re  filename attnum name'.  You will
then be able to query by attribute # or by catagory names.
	(If anyone on the lists has worked on entering multiple text fields
into RIM without MANUALLY entering each new entry, I'd sure like to hear how
you did it!!)

   Ronald Thomas                         ^  ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu
    Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^
     Resource Management Division        ^   Phone: 303-586-3565  x285
      Rocky Mountain National Park       ^          700-323-7285  (FTS)
       Estes Park, CO  80517             ^