GRASS4.1beta binary install succeeded

Bernd Munier bernd at tora.ruc.dk
Fri Mar 5 05:29:34 EST 1993

Dear All

Yesterday i loaded the binary version of grass4.1beta from the 'moon'.
It took me about 2 hours getting it over the Altantic, including un-taring
at our SPARC IPC (SUN.OS 4.1,1, OPENWIN 3). All went well, and after editing
monitorcap and grass4.1beta scripted it  W O R K E D.

The only problem was the XDRIVER, which I could not get running. After two
hours of hacking around with the fifo's and testing the new XDRIVER in the old
GRASS4.0, the solution was:

- cut out the section which regenerates the fifo named pipes from the
    GISGEN.sh scripts inside the source code for 4.1beta. I called it
    makefifis.sh (se attached script below).
- delete the old fifo's inside the $GISBASE/dev directory.
- regenerate the fifo's using makefifos.sh

After that, everything worked well, as far as I have been able to test until
now.

		Thanks to all GRASS developers

		Bernd Munier, Roskilde, DK

PS.: We will compile and install all GRASS4.1 from source code lateron.

PPS: Will there be a general SQL interface, or is it limited to INFORMIX.
	We are currrently using SYBASE.

-------------------------------- cut here ---------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# create fifo files for graphics drivers
# REMEMBER TO EDIT TO MATCH LOKATION OF GISBASE!!
#
GISBASE='/ddr/g41b/b/sun4s'
echo $GISBASE

for i in a b