error in utils/setup

Greg Koerper greg at towhee.cor2.epa.gov
Wed May 12 16:33:21 EDT 1993

I tripped across the following error in the GRASS compilation setup routine
(grass4.1/src/CMD/utils/setup):

if test "$HASX" != "False"
then
  if access r $XLIBPATH/$FINDXLIB
  then
        sh $udir/printf "%s\n\n" Found The X11 library -- $XLIBPATH
  else
    sh $udir/printf "%s\n" "I can't seem to find your X Library."
    while true
    do
      sh $udir/printf %s "Path to your X Library [RETURN for none] -->"
      read x
      if test "$x" != ""
      then
        if access r $x/FINDXLIB
        then
          XLIBPATH=$x
          sh $udir/printf "%s\n\n" Found it.
          break
        else
          sh $udir/printf "%s\n" This is an invalid path.  Try again.
        fi
      else
        XLIBPATH=
        break;
      fi
    done
  fi
fi

Users should change 'access r $x/FINDXLIB' to 'access r $x/$FINDXLIB'.

To improve the code, I think that setup should echo the pathnames or files it
is testing.  I have found myself having to more through the code (or is that
less) while I run setup in order to understand what the script is doing.
An echo would help to avoid the following example:

I can't find your Motif include path.
awk: cmd. line:1: (FILENAME=- FNR=1) warning: too many arguments supplied for format string

Path for Motif include files [RETURN for none] -->/files/data/towhee/data1/motif/include
Invalid path. Try again.

awk: cmd. line:1: (FILENAME=- FNR=1) warning: too many arguments supplied for format string

Path for Motif include files [RETURN for none] -->/files/data/towhee/data1/motif/include/Xm
Found it.

greg

Greg Koerper                            Internet: greg at heart.cor.epa.gov
ManTech Environmental Technology, Inc.  UUCP:     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!koerper
US EPA Environmental Research Lab
200 SW 35th St., JSB
Corvallis, OR   97333           "The 90s will make the 60s look like the 50s.
(503) 754-4490                          Just ask your kids."
 fax:  (503) 754-4338