s.surf.tps problem solved!

Martin Ameskamp ma at informatik.uni-kiel.d400.de
Fri Aug 12 09:28:03 EDT 1994

Hi again

a couple of days ago I sent a mail to grassu complaining about problems
with s.surf.tps. I have now been able to fix the problem:

s.surf.tps (and s.surf.2d) use the routine 'atof' to convert the string
returned by G_get_site to a double value.
On my machine (SCO UNIX 3.2.4) the call to atof yields the right
value in about 12 out of 4500 cases. Not a lot, really.
I haven't the faintest notion why this is so, a sample program with
atof works fine, but there it is.
Replacing atof with sscanf solves the problem.

(Those calls are in files s.surf.tps/user1.c, function INPUT for the old
version and in file interp/input2d, function IL_input_data_2d for
the new version).

Martin

PS Thanks to Bob and Helena for helping me.
--
Martin Ameskamp, Inst. f. Informatik I (Computing Dept.)
Kiel University, Olshausenstr. 40, 24118 Kiel, Germany
email: ma at informatik.uni-kiel.d400.de