PROJ_INFO and PROJ_NAME

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Wed Aug 17 10:42:36 EDT 1994

>From: warmerda at pci.on.ca (Frank Warmerdam)
>Subject: PROJ_INFO and PROJ_NAME
>Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
>
>Hi Folks,
>
>I am trying to fully integrate GRASS database support into the PCI software
>following is an example of one of these files:
>
>name: Albers Equal Area
>proj: aea
>ellps: aust_ntl
>a: 6378160.0000000000
>es: 0.0066945419
>lat_0: -25.0000000000
>lon_0: 135.0000000000
>lat_1: -25.0000000000

I cannot speak to the GRASS issues but must comment on the above
projection parameters.  They are INCORRECT and will give erroneous values
depending on how the default file is set.  Albers *requires* two
standard parallels: lat_1 and lat_2.  If one is missing (as above)
a value will be used from the default file (if present) or will
assume a value of 0.  I doubt that either of these conditions is what
the user wants.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027