Lock files

Ken Sibley ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Mon Feb 14 14:26:08 EST 1994

> From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Sat Feb 12 10:21:21 1994
> Subject: Lock files
> Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
> To: grassp-list at amber.cecer.army.mil (Grass programmer's list)
> Date: Sat, 12 Feb 1994 11:15:13 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Neel Smith" <nsmith at bruin.bowdoin.edu>
>
> A colleague with interesting data installed the Sun binaries on his
> machine so I could use GRASS on some of his material.  (He's rich in
> disk space :-)
>
> When I start an X monitor, I get an error,
>
> Error - Could not complete locking process for monitor <x0>.
> Lock file is
>
> $HOME/.gislock DOES exist, and has 4 bytes of data in it.
> I don't see anything obviously wrong with the installation
> (monitorcap is OK).
>
> Does this ring a bell with anyone?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Neel Smith
> nsmith at polar.bowdoin.edu

Neel,

The $HOME/.gislock file does not relate to the monitor.  It only has to
do with you being in or out of grass (ie.  it exists when you are in
grass and does not exist when you are not in grass).

The file you want to look for is $GISBASE/locks/...  The locks directory
must have full permissions (ie. 777/rwx) for everyone, to the consternation
of many system and network administrators.  When you start the monitor
it will create a subdirectory in the locks directory.  Grass does not
create the directory and the lock file in the same process.  If you
start the same monitor a second time it will work fine (assuming the
permissions are ok).

Good Luck,
Ken Sibley
USDA-SCS