Motif 1.2.x & X11R5

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Tue Jan 11 19:49:31 EST 1994

>Date: Wed, 12 Jan 1994 07:10:21 +1000 (+1000)
>From: Chris W Skelly <gewcs at jcu.edu.au>
>Subject: Re: Motif 1.2.x & X11R5
>
>Hi Again Guys,
>
>At the risk of being rude 8-() I'd like to repeat my previous
>question, which was not meant to be snotty (really!).
>
>My question was: why is a public domain package such as GRASS
>being made dependent upon a commercial product -- Motif? Is
>CERL locking itself into a commercial product because it can make
>pretty buttons? <--- ok this bit is cheeky
>
>I ask simply because I use products like Ximage which do not
>use motif (no fancy 3d buttons on screen), but still have all the
>menus and x functionality...and it doesn't lock the user into
>a commercial product....
>
>Cheers,
>Chris

A *very* good point and I couldn't have said it better myself,
cheekyness and all.

I have wondered and queryed the same issue and suggested that
the Athena Widgets could probably do the job.  But in this case,
some systems have not installed the Athena Widgets and ... .
Another alternative is to make your own widget set, but that
takes a lot of time and a higher skill level.

As a bottom line, I think it would have been preferable to
stick with the Athena Widgets.

But whatever route, stay pristene, pure and public.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027