Motif 1.2.x & X11R5

Bill Hargrove hnw at mtqgrass.ESD.ORNL.GOV
Wed Jan 12 10:47:06 EST 1994

     I have to agree with Chris Skelly and Jerry Evenden as they both
eloquently argue that the decision to inexorably link xgrass with Motif is
unfortunate.

     Although GRASS is the principle GIS engine within our division of the
National Lab, largely because we do not have Motif, we have not built and
cannot use xgrass, even though there are those here who would benefit from
such a GUI interface to GRASS.

     I personally do not like the "look and feel" of Motif (admittedly a
personal preference), but, more importantly, I cannot install Motif on my
machine temporarily just to make xgrass, since Motif makes fundamental
changes to many (most) native X libraries and files.  Thus, one must either
embrace Motif wholehartedly, or do without xgrass.  (Incidentally, I'm on a
DEC 5000, a machine for which no pre-compiled binaries (are they *really*
legal - no one knows for sure) are available).

     All of the above is no more (or less) than my humble opinion.

   ____                          Oak Ridge National Laboratory
    /  )      /  /      /  /     Environmental Sciences Division
   /--<   o  /  /      /--/      P.O. Box 2008, M.S. 6038
  /___/__<__/__/_     /  / _     Oak Ridge, TN  37830-6038
William W. Hargrove              (615) 574-1902
hnw at mtqgrass.esd.ornl.gov        (615) 576-8646 (fax)