projection conversion from state plane to utm

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Tue Jan 25 15:04:00 EST 1994

>To: grassp-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>Cc: nsf at ced.berkeley.edu, sue at ced.berkeley.edu, jeg at ced.berkeley.edu
>Subject: projection conversion from state plane to utm
>Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 11:13:25 -0800
>From: "Kenn Gardels (CEDR-REGIS)" <gardels at ced.berkeley.edu>
>
>We are trying to project a vector file from california state plane, zone iii,
>to UTM.  The source location is defined as zone 403, which is a lambert
>conformal conic projection (as defined in etc/projections).  v.proj returns
>an error
>
>	major axis, radius = 0, or not spec'ed
>	cannot initializa pj

>Thanks,
>-kenn
>
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Kenn Gardels                     Tel +01 (510) 642-9205                    |
>| CEDR - 390 Wurster Hall          Fax +01 (510) 643-5571                    |
>| University of California         Internet  gardels at ced.berkeley.edu        |
>| Berkeley, CA  94720              Bitnet    gardels at UCBCED                  |

Unfortunately, I do not know what value added material has been applied
to *proj* in the GRASS release, but my last release works just fine with:

	proj +init=nad27:403

Admittedly, its not v.proj or whatever, but I do pass it through a
torture test of nearly all the SPCS zones before release.  Scripts
for that test are passed on with the distribution.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027