your mail

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Thu Jan 27 11:49:38 EST 1994

> I am a new grass user. I retrieved a sun-binary from the grass ftp-site and it
> works fine apart from one problem: I cannot start an Xgrass-shell.
> The problem is caused by the fact that the script starting the shell does not
> get values for the variables LOCATION_NAME and MAPSET. Also, g.gisenv does not
> return anything. How can I solve this problem
>
> Annita Wilschut.

Annita,
you need a .grassrc file under your home directory which matches the Location
and Mapset in which you are running XGRASS. You can most easily create this
simply by firing up standard GRASS4.1, and entering the appropriate information
in the startup page. When you then exit GRASS, it will save the .grassrc file
automatically.

This is definitely a weakness in XGRASS.
--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159