Spatial Modeling Environment

Steffen Meyer steffen at longs.lance.colostate.edu
Mon Jun 13 18:43:33 EDT 1994

The group I work with is looking to develop a general
interface into a number of spatial models that will be written
for siting purposes.

I am looking for approaches/tools to acheive a general interface to
the user modification of desired values for ranges of values
in r.mapcalc, r.infer, r.combine, and r.weight script.
I envision an interface that requires a general GRASS spatial
model to have a set of start-up values for various portions
of the model execution that pursues siting based on user preferences
and user weights.  The interface would substitute appropriate values
into the GRASS script, and then run the script to develop the
outcome map(s) and review the results visually and numerically.

I anticipate this effort would require adopting tools or code
previously developed if possible.  I am trying to not reinvent any
wheel(s), and would like to capitalize on work that has not received
extensive press in the ftp documents.  The preferred interface would
support X/Motif similar to XGRASS and the display monitors currently
supported in GRASS4.x.

Ideally I would gain access to a graphical tree tool that
could support an expanding/collapsing tree.  Each segment of the tree
must support 1 or more maps feeding into a single operation that
results in 1 or more maps.
  If the user would click on a map
    call-backs would launch desired display routines
  If the usr clicks on the operation
    the input maps, the output maps and the parameter sequence
    would be revealed for each type of operation

A simpler interface will read the GRASS script spatial analysis
model and permit changing the input for each operation in the
model from top to bottom.

Are any you GRASS programmer types aware of any efforts in this area?
I have looked at the code to xgrass and ruled out some of the
functionality provided there.
Does any have any experience with
an X version of parameter modification/substitution.

We have accomplished a similar interface using a public domain
stick editor tool, but the graphical representatin is not very
clean.  Essentially this is a concept for a generalized spatial
model interface.

Thanks for you thoughts
Steffen Meyer
Integrated Decision Support Group