GRASS and river classification

N R A nra at cix.compulink.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 09:44:00 EDT 1994

Can anyone provide any information on this problem.

Our organisation carrys out an annual classification of the English &
Welsh rivers. This ranges from 1A (excellent) to 4 (poor). We can produce
maps that show the various stretchs of the rivers coloured according to
classification on our old mainframe system - it uses a series of
classification points which have a certain class and apply upstream along
the river until another class point is found.

I'd like to use GRASS to create these maps - the question is how ??

We have the rivers as a vector dataset and I've loaded and plotted these.
How can I get different parts plotted in a colour corresponding to the
value of a point or do I have to somehow create a vector set for each
year of classification - but this would involve storing the coordinates
many times.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Steve Culshaw
NRA North West