problem re-est. links

Mike Foster mike_foster at agcs.cas.psu.edu
Fri Sep 9 11:58:59 EDT 1994

Hi folks:

     Yesterday my GRASS4.1 system got corrupted and I restored the entire
GRASS home directory from a tape backup (binaries and all).  Now I am having
trouble re-establishing the system.  I have used the original setup.script.
The links between the binaries and front.end seem to work, and I seem to have
access to the graphics drivers, but I get the following message when I hit
ESC to continue at the opening GRASS screen (before the GRASS > prompt:

Sorry, <MONITOR> is not a valid parameter

Usage:
 g.gisenv [-lLprs] [start=name] [stop=name] [select=name]
   [unlock=name]

Flags:
  -l   List all monitors
  -L   List all monitors (with current status)
  -p   Print name of currently selected monitor
  -r   Release currently selected monitor
  -s   Do not automatically select when starting

Parameters:
   start   Name of graphics monitor to start
    stop   Name of graphics monitor to stop
  select   Name of graphics monitor to select
  unlock   Name of graphics monitor to unlock

OPTION:   Name of graphics monitor to start
     key: start
required: NO
enter option >

It seems that the initial call to g.gisenv in the GIS.sh startup script is
unhappy.  Can anyone suggest what I might need to do to fix this?

       Thanks for any help you can provide.

       Mike Foster
       Penn State University