How old is my map?

Martin Ameskamp ma at informatik.uni-kiel.d400.de
Mon Nov 13 07:00:00 EST 1995

Hi there,

I'm currently working on a program that reads borehole information
(talking about soil science here), and produces a GRASS site file and
the Voronoi tesselation of the borehole sites (using s.voronoi).
Obviously, I only want to create the site and vector files if
necessary, which means that I need a way of finding out whether they
exist (G_find_file("site_lists", ...) and G_find_file("dig", ...) seem
to do this adequately) and whether they are up to date.

For this, I need information on the modification dates of the database
files, for which, in turn, I need the specific filenames. There is a
routine 'G__file_name' which finds the filename, but this is an
undocumented function and I'd like to stay as near to documented
routines as possible. So the question is - is there a 'clean' way of
finding out how old a given map is (which in general will consist of
several files)? And if there isn't, is "dig" the best element to check
for vector files?

Thanks in advance,  Martin

PS Just a reminder: the file grass-defs.h on /grass/incoming has
   prototypes for most of the GRASS library routines (usable for
   C/C++)
--
Martin Ameskamp, Inst. f. Informatik I (Computing Dept.)
Kiel University, Olshausenstr. 40, 24118 Kiel, Germany
email: ma at informatik.uni-kiel.d400.de