Interest in developing GIS application.

Martin Ameskamp ma at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Mon Sep 16 08:00:00 EDT 1996

> I am looking for assistance in developing a program that will allow me
> to enter my location in a particular city as well as my destination in
> that same city -- at which time the computer will merely give me the
> quickest route to reach my destination.

        [ ... ]

> I am fairly new to the world of GIS and I would appreciate email from
> anyone who is either interested in working with me on this project or
> any suggestions on where I should begin to look (ie, do I use data from
> Tiger or Grass, does it make sense to develop such a program from
> scratch, etc.).

        Well, considering that several multinational consortia are
        working on this problem with astronomical budgets, I think
        developing this from scratch does not make an awful lot
        of sense (this is the situaution in Europe, I don't know
        about the US, but I'd be surprised if the situation was very
        much different - apart from the multinational bit, perhaps :-)

        While the algorithmical side of the thing is far from trivial,
        the main problem is a current database. This is where the big
        money comes in. There have been a couple of articles on this
        topic in GIS Europe over the last two or three years.

        Good luck,

        Martin
--
Martin Ameskamp, Inst. f. Informatik I (Computing Dept.)
Kiel University, Olshausenstr. 40, 24118 Kiel, Germany