MAKING $$$$ WITH ONLY $1

Bill Brown brown at cecer.army.mil
Thu Sep 26 08:00:00 EDT 1996

> I was wondering if the system administrator should send a note to the guy
> stopping him sending this kind of junk.   The GRASS programmers' group is a
> place for professionals to discuss problems, exchange experiences, not for
> this kind bull*.   What do you guys think?

> Zhian Li
> Argonne National Lab.

It probably wouldn't matter whether it came from the sys admin or
individual subscribers; chances are he wouldn't read it anyway.
Seems to me the best thing to do is ignore it. Or sometimes it
makes me feel better to send a message to postmaster or admin @ the
poster's domain, but often the return address is faked or the
account is about to expire anyway.

By the way, I didn't read the message but as it was scrolling past
I saw my name in there, so if anybody did read the message, I just
wanted to say the Bill Brown listed is not ME.  I try to make
money the old fashion way :-).

Also see the alt.spam FAQ:
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/net-abuse-faq/spam-faq/faq.h
tml

An excerpt:
> I checked at the US Post Office web site and verified that chain
> letters are federal crimes under Title 18, United State Code, Section
> 1302. This does apply to email as well as paper; quoting from URL
>
> From http://www.usps.gov/websites/depart/inspect/chainlet.htm :
>> "Recently, high-tech chain letters have begun surfacing. They may be
>> disseminated over the Internet, or may require the copying and mailing
>> of computer disks rather than paper. Regardless of what technology is
>> used to advance the scheme, if the mail is used at any step along the
>> way, it is still illegal."
>> To find your nearest postal inspector in the USA, see URL
>> http://www.usps.gov/ncsc/locators/find-is.html
> DOES ANYBODY HAVE POSTAL INSPECTOR ADDRESSES FOR OTHER COUNTRIES THAT
> PONZI / MMF SCHEMES ARE ILLEGAL IN?

- Bill