[GRASS5] GRASS 5 beta5b internal available

Bill Brown brown at gomez.gis.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 3 17:27:00 EST 1999

I had some problems compiling 5beta5a on IRIX 5.3.  About 1/2 of the
errors were problems with dependencies in Gmakefiles - such as:

> don't know how to make -lsun (bu42).
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src/sites/s.territory
>
> don't know how to make -lsun (bu42).
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src/sites/s.sv
>
> don't know how to make -lm (bu42).
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src.contrib/CERL/raster/r.water.fea/src
>
> don't know how to make -lm (bu42).
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src.contrib/SCS/misc/m.lulc.USGS
>
> don't know how to make -lm (bu42).
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src.contrib/SCS/misc/m.strip99s
>
> don't know how to make -lm (bu42).
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src.contrib/SCS/raster/r.out.rlc
>
> don't know how to make -lm (bu42).
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src.contrib/SCS/raster/r.reclass.scs

I can fix these by changing Gmakefiles like this:
------OLD------
LIBRARIES = $(GISLIB) $(DATETIMELIB) $(XDRLIB)

PGM = $(BIN_CONTRIB_CMD)/s.territory

OFILES = main.o \
	territory.o \
	load.o

$(PGM): $(OFILES) $(LIBRARIES)
	$(CC) -o $@ $(LDFLAGS) $(OFILES) $(LIBRARIES) -lm
	@rm -f a.out
------NEW------
LIBRARIES = $(GISLIB) $(DATETIMELIB)

PGM = $(BIN_CONTRIB_CMD)/s.territory

OFILES = main.o \
	 territory.o \
         load.o

$(PGM): $(OFILES) $(LIBRARIES)
	$(CC) -o $@ $(LDFLAGS) $(OFILES) $(LIBRARIES) $(XDRLIB) -lm
	@rm -f a.out

There were also failures of various sorts on:
> src/general/g.help
> src/mapdev/v.digit
> src/mapdev/v.geom
> src/raster/r.mapcalc
> src/raster/r.tiff
> src.contrib/CERL/imagery/i.rvi.prediction2
> src.contrib/CERL/raster/r.rvi
> src.contrib/GMSL/NVIZ2.2
> src.contrib/GMSL/SG3d

I haven't had time to look at any of these specifically.

I also had some trouble with make - I had to comment out
INSTALL_DATA_DIR=      install -d -m 755
from the Makefile because IRIX install doesn't recognize -d.
What is INSTALL_DATA_DIR used for?

I ran the new grass5.0beta5a and it ran fine, as did tcltkgrass.  But
when I went back to use my grass5.0beta2, which is my last stable
version, I get errors when I try to start a monitor - it starts OK,
but cannot lock so I can't "select" it.  It was running fine before I
compiled the beta5 grass.  Anybody know why this would happen?  Or
how to fix it? The beta5 and beta2 binaries are in completely different
directory trees.

Another question:  Does the current configuration script still allow
me to compile the same source tree on several different platforms?  I
noticed that it still creates arch-specific subdirectories for object files,
but the binary tree no longer has the arch-specific directory.

- Bill