[GRASS5] directory structure of GRASS libraries

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sat Oct 30 18:45:04 EDT 1999

Hi there,

related to the idea of splitting GRASS into
packages (to make GRASS accessible for people
with low bandwith access) I think we should
restructure the GRASS libraries.

In my opinion all libs should be stored in
src/libes/
except those being used by just one module.

Current state is (I am not shure if all are
still relevant)

/src/libes/
 bitmap
 btree
 coorcnv
 datetime
 dbmi
 dig_atts
 digitizer
 display
 dlg
 dspf
 g3d
 geom
 gis
 ibtree
 icon
 imagery
 libimage
 linkm
 lock
 ogsf
 proj
 raster
 rowio
 segment
 vask
 vect32_64  -> new vector lib from Bill Hughes 32/64 compliant, build
               from mapdev/-libes (first version)

src/mapdev/ -> all this lib stuff should be under *one* directory in
                                                          src/libes/
 Vlib          -> libvect.a
 aquad         -> unused, interesting for improving g.setproj
 bin_digit     -> unused
 digitizers    -> digitizer driver stuff
 diglib        -> libdig2.a
 dlg_to_bdlg   -> unused
 dlg_to_dig    -> unused
 georef        -> libgeo.a
 libes
   - old_dev   -> unused
   - old_includes -> unused
   - transform   -> libtrans.a
 unsupported
   - dig_to_dlg -> unused
   - dlglabel   -> unused
   - dlgtocell  -> unused
(moss/ I have renamed now to v.out.moss)

src/sites/
 - cdhc  -> required by some sites modules
 - sroff

src/xgrass/libes/ -> required by some MOTIF based modules (xganim, ogl3d)
  - Xgd
  - Xgi
  - Xpm

src/display/devices/*

I would like to hear your opinion on this topic, especially the
reorganization of src/mapdev/.

Another thing: What about including the JAVA libs from Alexandre Sorokine?
GRASS-JNI
http://www.vtt.co.jp/staff/sorokin/jni/

Thanks for listening,

 Markus