[GRASS5] Re: how to install grass5b on alphaServer

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Mon Apr 24 08:06:09 EDT 2000

¹ÚÀ翵 wrote:

> Hi!  I am a student studying GRASS in Korea.
> I have a problem to install Grass based on Compaq alpaha Server.
> So, I would like to know how to install Grass5beta6_linuxbin.tar.gz on alphaServer.
>
> The problem is this:
>         .....installing  .....
>  Creating Monitor fifos ...
> ;
> Processing stopped after this messesage. I can't help waiting Your reply as quickly as possible.
> Your help would be greatly appreciated!
> Thanks!

Hi Jerry,

please do not flood the different mailing lists with copies of the same
message.

The binary files (grass5.beta6/7_linuxbin.tar.gz) are platform and
operating-system specific. The linux binary from the hannover server is
for Linux on Intel x86 architecture only. I don't know if a alpha-linux
binary will be released in the near future. If you want to install
grass5 now you must get the source file (grass5.0beta7.tar.gz), unpack
it and compile it.

You did'nt tell which operating system you run on the Compaq Alpha
Server (Linux? Digital Unix, TrueUnix?). You need a compiler (gcc/egcs)
to build grass5 from the sources. I don't know if someone successfully
compiled grass5 with the native compiler for TrueUnix etc.

cu

Andreas

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de, A.C.Lange at GMX.net