[GRASS5] ps.map, p.map and p.map.new

Michel Wurtz - ENGEES/CEREG mw at engees.u-strasbg.fr
Tue Apr 18 05:37:32 EDT 2000

Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 09:03:30AM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> >
> > > The number of modules needs to be reduced a bit.
> >
> > Not necessarily the number, but the number the user interacts with.
> > Like I said it is possible to have one module per output format.
> > this also sounds like a healthy seperation from the developer
> > point of view.
> >
> > There is no reason why there should not be one module which drives them
> > all.
> Hi Bernhard,
>
> this is a good idea: We can hide modules in $GISBASE/etc (there
> are already several hidden modules) and call them by a
> general output module.
>
> Any volunteers out there :-) ?

Well, That is my next grass project :-) A full interactive map
composer system (with a tcl/tk interface, so it can also be run
on the windows version of grass). The actual state is paper and
pencil thinking, list of desired functionnalities, and the desire
for a modular/customisable/reusable system.

In brief :

- interactive placement of the differents modules (map, legend,
  frames, lines, coordinates cross, texts, images, ...) on the map,
  with previsualisation (à la nviz) : modules can overlap like
  windows on a screen.
- layer stack for printing on the same map more than one raster,
  any number of vector files or site files in a selected order
- icon editor for sites representation
- icon size/color/orientation/type may be linked to site attributes
- line representation (width, dashed/dotted/symbols, inside/ouside
  color, non symetrical aspect) parametrable by line attributes
- area filling either with grass color, or with pattern/color
  defined in a library (like line representation or icon)
- any defined map may be resused in a frame on an other map (copy/
  cut/paste) => "map library" for mapping different places with
  the same overall aspect (region not linked to representation).
  The layout of a map can be saved, recalled and quickly modified
  for an other output. (in $LOCATION/map ?)
- automaticaly created, but customisable legend
- scale bar/north arrow as icon
- output : originaly postscript only, including the icons format,
  with the use of gs to make images, but maybe also a xfig output
  (in many files if there is rasters/images on the output) and the
  use of xfig as a graphic editor for symbols ?
- Paper coordinate system for the placement, map coordinate system
  inside each map and for the text inside it.
- Paper size... well, any + a list of well known formats (metric+US)
- The module for the map itself should be usable as a replacement
  for d.rast/vect/site... (some kind of basic Mapinfo or Arcview ?)

What else ? Anybody else interested ?

--
Michel Wurtz    ENGEES - CEREG
                1, quai Koch - BP 1039, F-67070 STRASBOURG cedex