[GRASS5] ps.map, p.map and p.map.new

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Apr 13 13:10:02 EDT 2000

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 06:57:01PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 09:39:04AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Markus Neteler wrote:

> >   I don't understand the differences. But, I am curious why we cannot have a
> > single output/print module which encompases the variations in both p. and
> > ps. Another variable could determine the output device (screen, html page,
> > printer, plotter) and make the appropriate adjustments. In my opinion, this
> > makes it much easier to maintain/improve and to use.

GRASS is pretty modular so far. One module for each format sound
a good way to keep it modular.
A script or gui might run these modules more comfortably and if they
have common functions they should be moved into a library.

Other project really like output and input format plugins and even
modify their project to be able to have them.

> >   I've read the man pages for ps.map, p.map/p.map.new I see some differences
> > among them, but nothing on the man pages explains when to use one or the
> > other -- and why.
>
> Well, p.* and ps.* are have the same purpose, but different output
> formats. If being merged, as you suggested, it should become
>
> o.map
>
> (new "output" command class).
>
> A flag to select the output format would be required. Say:
> -f ps
> -f ppm
> -f ?
>
> That might be a good idea, if not too complicated for the export
> formats.

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)