[GRASS5] Proposal for a GRASS daemon to deliver metadata

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri Aug 25 06:31:21 EDT 2000

Hi Markus

Markus Neteler wrote:
> we have been talking about the GRASS environmental variables,
> if and how to include a GRASS_TEMP variable etc. From
> sitting here with Roger Bivand at Chatham campus, we got the
> idea that a GRASS daemon might be great to solve a couple
> of problems.

Interesting idea but I don't know much about daemons except that they
are processes that sit there and provide a service to other processes.
Could you please elaborate on what you expect the daemon to do with
respect to the kinds of services it will provide?

By the way, there is no problem with reserving a port there are many
free ones.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th