[GRASS5] Severe bug in r.mapcalc!! [raghavan@media.osaka-cu.ac.jp: Bugreport GRASS 5]

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Aug 20 11:02:46 EDT 2000

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 03:22:04PM +0200, Andreas Lange wrote:
> Hi Markus ,
>
> i could verify the problem on Intel/x86 and the absence of the problem
> on SGI/MIPS (IRIX) (32bit system).
>
> I suspect that this is a big-endian/little-endian related problem. But i
> could be wrong. Would be interesting to get test results from other
> platforms (PPC, SPARC, Alpha, HP PA-RISC etc.).
>
> Are there any hints on where to look for the problem (library used,
> files written)?

Andreas,

Huidae Cho has already fixed it for FreeBSD! It was a wrong NULL
initialization in
src/libes/gis/null_val.c

We have to check for all platforms, if more #ifdefs are required
there.

I have fixed it for Linux in the same manner in null_val.c

Many thanks to Huidae Cho to fix this bug and to Vekatesh Raghavan
to find it!

Cheers

 Markus

> cu,
>
> Andreas
>
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 09:59:15AM -0500, Bill Brown - staff wrote:
> > >
> > >  r.mapcalc test=-129
> > >
> > > This works OK on my IRIX machine.  As with other negative
> > > numbers, it's stored using a full 4-byte int (in cellhd file,
> > > "format: 3").  Do other negative numbers work OK?
> >
> > Thanks for testing. Obviously yes (on Linux):
> >
> > r.mapcalc test=-128
> > EXECUTING test = ...  100%
> > CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR test
> > range: -128 -128
> >
> >  -> o.k.
> >
> > GRASS:~ > r.mapcalc test=-129
> > EXECUTING test = ...  100%
> > CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR test
> >
> >  -> NULL!!!
> >
> > GRASS:~ > r.mapcalc test=-130
> > EXECUTING test = ...  100%
> > CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR test
> > range: -130 -130
> >
> >  -> o.k.
> >
> > This is a very strange error.
> >
> > Markus

> --
> Andreas Lange, 65187 Wiesbaden, Germany, Tel. +49 611 807850
> Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net

Dipl.-Geogr. Markus Neteler *  University of Hannover
Institute of Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology
Schneiderberg 50 * D-30167 Hannover * Germany
Tel: ++49-(0)511-762-4494  Fax: -3984