[GRASS5] configure.in Wants testers...

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Dec 29 01:05:10 EST 2000

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 10:06:07AM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> hope (you all) had nice christmas days!
>
> If you (Eric), allow, another "configure" report:
>
> I tested on my Linux laptop:
> checking Tcl include dirs... -I/usr/include
> checking Tk include dirs... -I/usr/include
> checking Tcl/Tk library dirs... -L/usr/lib
> checking for Tk_MainWindow in -ltk8.3... (cached) no
> configure: warning: *** Failed to find Tcl/Tk libraries

This seems to happen when the test program doesn't have all the required
link -l<lib> flags.  It seems to vary by system.  Most likely it needs
some of the X11 flags for the test to succeed (-lX11, -lXt, etc...).
Perhaps you could help me determine which should be added?

Create a small program like:

------------------------<cut here>----------------------------------
char *Tk_MainWindow();

int main (void)
{
   Tk_MainWindow();
   return 0;
}
-----------------------<cut here>----------------------------------

Then try compiling it with various options:

$ gcc tktest.c -ltk8.3

$ gcc tktest.c -ltk8.3 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXt -lX11

etc...

The test program should *not* include "tk.h", so that the redefinition
of Tk_MainWindow() will not cause a compilation error.  On my system, I
only need the "-ltk8.3" flag, but I've seen where X libs are needed
elsewhere to overcome similar problems (like -lGLwM).  The program only
needs to compile to indicate successful linking (it will obviously fail
to run properly due to wrong/missing arguments to Tk_MainWindow()).

Also, if you changed some options to configure, you might need to delete
the "config.cache" file so the test is actually performed (it won't be
if the cache already has success/failure stored).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>