[GRASS5] overwriting

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Dec 20 12:03:03 EST 2000

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 10:13:57AM -0600, Helena Mitasova - staff wrote:

> >I don't know wether this should be considered as bug or feature, but in
> >v.db.reclass and in v.to.rast (presumably also in other modules), I get no
> >warning when I overwrite an existing map. In terms of user-friendliness, this
> >might be a problem.
>
> as far as I know many modules don't warn you (except r.mapcalc and some others)
> so it would be quite a bit of work to add it, but it should be done - Markus,
> maybe you should put it into the TO DO list so that developers know about it
> and as modules are enhanced/updated this feature can be added

Hi all,

this is an important issue I was already thinking to add to TODO.
Currently there is no consistency. It could be added easily to
make the module ask: "may I overwrite?" - But: In script mode
we don't want such questions (or every module needs *another* parameter
to allow silent overwriting).

I am not sure what we want:
- change modules to ask for overwriting in both interactive and command line
  mode
- change modules to ask for overwriting in interactive mode, but silently
  overwrite in command line mode

Comment are welcome,

 Markus