[GRASS5] cygwin/windows port

Malcolm Blue mblue at nb.sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 18 23:45:02 EST 2000

Hello cygwin users.

I had some minor success with the XDRIVER running on cygwin/XFree.  I
was finally able to get a monitor started with d.mon.  Unfortunately, I
cannot yet select and draw to it, but since the errors were similar to
those from d.mon start=X#, I should be able to hunt them down.  There
are bugs in the cygwin IPC sources and libraries.  Once I have made a
bit more progress I will provide details.

I have been using the IPC messaging and currently have overwritten the
connect.c, SWITCHER.c and io.c in the XDRIVER/lib, XDRIVER/XDRIVER24 and
libes/raster.  Although there have been some discussions of the merits
of using the IPC messaging since it is not portable, I think we can get
it to work on cygwin without messing up the existing structure.  For
example, creating a CYG-XDRIVER and cygrasterlib.a (we can still use the
sources and object files that don't use fifo).  Or, now that I am
getting more familiar with IPC (which wasn't my goal when I started) and
have looked into the use of sockets a bit, I think that there may be a
couple of avenues to explore.  A few people have expressed interest in
getting this working so maybe my VERY small success will stimulate some
new discussions and ideas....

Any comments or suggestions?

Malcolm