[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:1295] Grass 5b10 make clean

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Mon Dec 18 22:48:53 EST 2000

Hello Gordon

Gordon Keith wrote:
> I am trying to install Grass 5 beta 10 on an solaris intel box.
>
> I was unable to install from the binaries so I downloaded the source
> and tried to build it.
>
> I followed the instructions and did a "./configure" and "make
> install". The error.log contained a lot of entries so I decided to
> "make clean" and "make all" to try to track down the error messages.
>
> Since make install requires root access I was doing this as root.
>
> Can you image my horror when "make clean" flashed up:
>
> /bin/sh -c "rm -rf /usr/local/bin/   2>/dev/null ; true"
>
> and proceeded to do the same for a few other important directories
> such as:
> /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include, /usr/local/man, etc.
>
> Can I suggest (in _*extrememly strong*_ terms) that wiping out the
> entire development environment (gcc, make etc) is NOT what most people
> mean by make clean.
>
> Please make it a little safer for newbies to play with grass.

Thank you for bringing such a serious problem to our attention. Please
accept our humble apologies for causing you such a major inconvenience.
No one realized that our recent changes caused such a drastic effect.
The problem has now been fixed in CVS and (Markus) I would highly
recommend an immediate release of Grass5.0beta11.

I hope this experience does not deter you from using Grass in the
future.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th