[GRASS5] Some Bugs

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Fri Dec 15 08:38:46 EST 2000

Hi Justin,

it was not my intention to deter someone from working on this :-).
But i looked into this back in summer when i investigated the datum
transformation stuff and detected that it would require a complete
library redesign and to adapt _all_ modules to this redesign. Please
note what that means: rewriting all modules that depend on projection
support. It could be feasible to create a new library in parallel with
the new projection/datum support and to adapt the modules step-by-step.

I agree that a unified projection support would simplify programming
very much. The user would not directly see this, but get a much more
advanced projection support.

cu,

Andreas

Justin Hickey wrote:

> I agree that it is important to point out the difficulties in making
> such a change in the software, but we also need to encourage anyone
> willing to tackle this change (even if they only offer to see how
> feasible it is). Pointing out the difficulties is sometimes enough to
> discourage people from looking further.
>
> In this case, I feel we need more information before we can decide if
> this change is feasible. A software engineering priciple is that
> anything that simplifies the use of the software for users is
> "generally" worth the effort needed to implement it providing it doesn't
> substantially degrade performance. Also, this change has the potential
> to simplify the code. Thus, there are two important reasons for
> considering this change.
>
> I guess I just don't want to see this idea die simply because it
> involves a major change to the source code. The advantages from a
> software engineering point of view justify IMHO a more detailed
> investigation into the feasibility of making this change.
>
> But of course, this idea is moot if we don't have any volunteers to
> perform this investigation. :-)

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net