[GRASS5] Setting a removal date for LZW

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Dec 7 16:56:56 EST 2000

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 07:14:08AM -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 09:02:06AM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 06:35:21PM -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> > > I'd like to set a date in the next week or two where we make the switch
> > > from using LZW to DEFLATE in reading/writing FP rasters and G3D files.
> > Yes, good idea. As we have the startup problems fixed, I will be
> > a tester for you!
>
> Okay, I'd like to propose Dec. 16 or 17 for change.  If we do it much
> later, I won't be available for the week of Dec. 21-28, so if there are
> problems, I won't be able to do anything until around Jan. 1.
Sounds good to me.

> > > I've been using a version of libgis compiled with the new libz wrapper
> > > functions for the last couple weeks and have not had any problem with
> > > floating point rasters.  I have not yet tested it with G3D, though I
> > > don't expect any real problems since the new functions should be drop in
> > > replacements for the old and only need to know where to start
> > > reading/writing and how many bytes.  I will try to start testing G3D
> > > stuff in the next week, but I have very little experience using these
> > > files and associated programs.  One or two of the r3 modules will
> > > have to be changed with regards to renaming the option to use LZW to
> > > DEFLATE.
> > I am using G3D, so I'll test that as well.
>
> I think I still have to set up the relevant g3d modules (I forget).
>
> > > While I've had no problems, the only way to really know these functions
> > > are working correctly is to try them out under various operating
> > > conditions by a wider number of users (than 1).  I don't forsee any
> > > problems provide zlib is present, since these functions hardly do
> > > anything too tricky (the library takes care of the hard part).
> >
> > Shall I wait or directly convert?
>
> Please read my previous email on this subject, as it outlines steps you
> should take (especially the one's about backing up your data and
> uncompressing FP rasters *before* making the switch -- you could also
> test out the grass module I wrote for after the fact upgrades).
For the others: here is the reference:

r.lzw2z.tgz:
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/cgi-bin/minorweb.pl?A=READ&L=grass5/2000/11/19/13

Test procedure:
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/cgi-bin/minorweb.pl?A=READ&L=grass5/2000/11/28/4

Hope not to be the only testing person (solaris, SGI etc. wanted).

Markus

PS: No complaints yet on beta10... Already published for several hours.