[GRASS5] _gtty & _stty errors

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Dec 6 22:42:22 EST 2000

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 06:55:24PM -0800, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Where would use the "--with-USE_TERMIO directive"?

It an option to ./configure (see ./configure --help for all the
options).  However ...

> It looks like things took a turn for the worst. After installing
> libncurses 5.2, I now get an "Undefined symbols: _winch" error for
> modules that compiled fine before.  I know that winch is defined in
> both the Apple provided /usr/include/curses.h and the just installed
> libncurses 5.2 /usr/local/include/curses.h.
>
> Note the Apple provided /usr/include/curses.h and the libncurses 5.2
> /usr/local/include/curses.h are different sizes,  Apples: 13.5kb and
> libncurses 5.2 is 60.7kb.

Yes, this is most likely the problem.  You might temporarily move
libncurses includes (*.h files) and libs (libncurses.a, libncurses.so)
to a directory where the compile won't find them.  It may be the curses
library supplied by Apple is sufficient to do the job.

> I tried "cc -L/usr/include ..." and "cc -L/usr/local/include..." and
> both attempts reveal the same error.

The option is -I/path/to/includes for header files.  The -L/path/to/libs
is only used by the linker (ld) for libraries.

> I am really frustrated, and I don't know what else to but *gasp*
> re-install my entire system and reinstall all the libraries and
> sources.  Which I would hate to do because most of beta 9 is now
> built....

Hopefully, such drastic measures are not required.  I think the conflict
between the various curses libraries is likely the problem.  That is,
the Apple curses probably declares the _gtty and _stty functions/macros,
but there is nothing in libncurses with those symbols.

Luck,
--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>