[GRASS5] html to man conversion

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Dec 1 07:59:24 EST 2000

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 06:39:02PM +0000, Michel Wurtz wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:

> > > Well, I did the update of the Gmakefile after the compilation and now I
> > > didn't get any error messages anymore. I don't no, if for some reason I
> > > didn't get the latest version of the cvs tree (but I did erase the entire
> > > tree and reinstalled it, following the instructions) or wether something
> > > else later in the compilation process made the compilation the html
> > > directory possible...
> > Strange.
> >
> > > I can't check wether the manual pages work because
> > > Grass isn't running yet. In the grass5/man directory, only man1 has any
> > > content at all. The other ones (man2-5 and help) are empty and only man1
> > > has 'man' as its owner.
> > Yes, only man1 will contain *all* files as no "classification" is done (due
> > to the fact that html files are the source). We *may* add a keyword to each
> > page to allow separations and storage into different man? directories. But
> > personally I don't think that this extra works makes much sense.
>
> Well, sorry for not being very reactive, but I'm a little overloaded,
> and worse, the network here is in maintenance : I won't have any access
> until next week !
>
> The `chown' line works only if root runs make.  The problem is
> that the index is made by a program suid man, so if the user "man"
> cannot write in the man directory, you get an error message each
> time g.html2man runs ! On the other hand a "normal" user cannot
> give the directory to man (or cannot write man pages after that)
>
> A better idea is to say "chmod a+w $(MANDIR)", and to restore
> the read-only flag after all pages are created (for security
> reasons). Sorry, I have no time (and no network) until next week
> to do that ! but it's straightforward ;-)

Hi Michel,

perhaps for you list:

if I run this on CRAY, I get:
Make: "chown man /home/t3e/fsn/nhdc/nhdcmark/grass5bin/man/man1 2> /dev/null
;true": Error code 4

t3e:grass/html:585$ man chown
[...]
IMPLEMENTATION
     CRAY T3E systems

STANDARDS
     POSIX, XPG4
     AT&T extensions (-h option)

The reason is:
chown man /home/t3e/fsn/nhdc/nhdcmark/grass5bin/man/man1
cmd-1362 chown: Unknown user id 'man'.

At least on CRAY it is:
ls -la /usr/man
total 1248
drwxr-xr-x  10 bin      bin         4096 Jun  1  1999 .

I am installing as user, not as root here.

We need a more portable implementation...

Regards

 Markus