[GRASS5] Re: Debian GRASS

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Jul 28 01:13:33 EDT 2000

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 06:45:02PM +0000, David D Gray wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Following on the recent announcement of development of RPM and RPMS
> packages for GRASS, I believe it is high time that GRASS binaries are
> available in .deb format for the convenience of those using Debian and
> derivative distros. (Including possibly eventually a hook into embedded
> GRASS).

Here, here!

Anyway, there was supposedly a debian developer already making a deb for
grass (many moons ago) -- I haven't seen anything materialize, but you
might contact him (check the developer's pages, I forget the name).
It's gonna be a bit tricky deciding where to put things per Debian
policy.  Frankly, I don't know that it would be too easy to do more than
put most everything in /usr/lib/grass or some such.

Realizing that GRASS is a huge collection of programs, you might take a
wait and see on the "segmentation" of core/docs/garden/contrib
what-have-you.  Supposedly it's a goal to make that happen.

Best of Luck...

--
According to MegaHAL:
    The emu is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace.