[GRASS5] make vs make install

James Cameron quozl at lisp.com.au
Thu Jul 27 03:30:47 EDT 2000

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 01:31:30PM +0000, Justin Hickey wrote:
> I don't know. I'm not that familiar with automake. However, we are using
> autoconf to configure part of the system. Is autoconf part of automake?

Separate package.  Normally applied before autoconf.  It is used to
generate Makefile.in that autoconf's generated configure script uses.
The input to automake is Makefile.am.

> A major task remaining is to replace the GISGEN system with a
> proper set of Makefiles, all of which include a common one containing
> the system dependencies.

Common one containing the system dependencies?  What does that mean?
If it is dependencies based on header files, there are automatic tools
to handle that now.  makedepend is one.  There are better ones.

> But we are improving. When I first compiled GRASS over 4 years ago, it was a
> nightmare!

I remember doing that!  On a 486/33.

> If you have any insights on how to solve this problem, they would be most
> welcome.

I will have a bit of a think.