[GRASS5] make vs make install

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Thu Jul 27 09:31:30 EDT 2000

Hello James

On Jul 27,  4:14pm, James Cameron wrote:
> Could automake and friends be applied here?

I don't know. I'm not that familiar with automake. However, we are using
autoconf to configure part of the system. Is autoconf part of automake?

> Is there anything unusual about the per-module Makefiles?

The problem is outlined below, which comes from the INSTALL file

===============================

THINGS TO DO

A major task remaining is to replace the GISGEN system with a
proper set of Makefiles, all of which include a common one containing
the system dependencies.

================================

So, the problem is ensuring that the system dependencies are available to all
Makefiles. Currently, the GISGEN.sh shell script and the gmake.sh shell script
handle this task. Therefore, these scripts have to be replaced with a proper
Makefile system.

Note that GRASS was developed over 20 years ago when automake and friends did
not exist. With over 300 modules in the system, it is a daunting task to change
the way GRASS compiles now.

But we are improving. When I first compiled GRASS over 4 years ago, it was a
nightmare! At least we have a simple 3 step process now (assuming there are no
errors).

If you have any insights on how to solve this problem, they would be most
welcome.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th