[GRASS5] d.dm

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Sat Jul 15 05:24:50 EDT 2000

Hi Radim,

thank you very much for the display manager.
I like the concept and think that it could be expanded to a fully
functional "Map Manager" in GRASS.

I had some time ago the idea of a similar program, but no time to spent
on it. My idea was slightly different, i think one should use a
tree-like widget to display the items to display in one window (with the
Set as the root, no need to display more than one set at a time). The
window on the right could contain an entry widget with all the options
for the currently selected display item, one could develop a sort of
meta-description of the options (like the module files for tcltkgrass)
to generate this screen with the entry widgets. And the CELL driver
could be added so that it is possible to create a map on the xdriver and
write it later to a CELL file.

Some general hints on programming with tcl/tk:
tcl/tk has no elaborate data types and (until 8.1) no namespaces, so
that one should waste some time on variable names and composite
variables. It saves much typing if you use only one associative array
for global state variables, e. g. $init(option). I must admit that i am
not very familiar with tcl/tk until now and still learn myself.

I am not shure if it is wise to check in the tcl/tk-script file with
executable permissions and only copy it over to the script dir with
Gmakefile commands. If you check in the script in the script directory
(src/script/contrib) the file will be copied over to the correct
directory and permissions will be set automatically. Or you could look
into the Gmakefile for the scripts directories and adapt the system used
there. On recompiling beta8 yesterday d.dm was not automatically
created, the script was available after i manually executed gmake5 in
the directory.

all the best,

yours,

Andreas

Radim Blazek wrote:

> Hi clickers,
>
> d.dm is Display Manager (Tcl/Tk):
> - create sets of maps and display/zoom/pan in selected monitor
> - query selected map
> - each monitor has its own region - current region is not changed
> - (use: double click set name to rename, click the map name by right button
>      to select from list, read mouse-over help for some buttons)
>
> Send me your comments.
>
> Radim
> Praga, Bohemiae

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net