[GRASS5] SG3d-keep-it

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Jul 3 12:37:43 EDT 2000

Helena and all developers,

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 12:14:45AM -0500, Helena Mitasova - staff wrote:

> >Therefore, the only reason to keep SG3d would be due to
> >functionality not in NVIZ.
>
> Yes, that is a very, very good reason.
>
> >I didn't look carefully at the two programs so I'm
> >not sure, but I think NVIZ does everything SG3d did and more.
>
> Unfortunately this is not true - in many aspects NVIZ does more,
> however, NVIZ lacks LEGENDS which anybody who needs to use
> the images for publications and reports desperately needs and
> SG3d has very good tools for legends as well as for scale and North
> symbols. Also SG3d has powerful tools for visualization of site
> data using different symbols, colormaps and labels. So untill
> there is a volunteer who could port these capabilities to NVIZ
> please keep SG3d in GRASS so that at least the users who have
> SGIs can take advantage of these capabilities. Also, SG3d allows
> the users who are working with just one surface work more
> efficiently - it is simply faster to use and we use it all the time.
It would be great to have these missing feature in NVIZ!
Is there anybody able to migrate the missing code?

> And when I am writing this a better candidate for retirement would
> be s.surf.tps which has been replaced by more powerful s.surf.rst
Good idea. I have removed it from CVS as suggested (you get it back
using the "beta7" tag).

Generally I suggest to reduce the numbers of modules!

> And r3.in.grid3 probably does not have too many users, because it
> was a temporary 3d grid format which we have used to develop and
> test the 3D and 4D interopolation and visualization.
O.k., I removed as well (kept in CVS attic, too).

Thanks for your comments

 Markus