[GRASS5] GRASS 5.0.0 stable release

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Jun 9 05:12:09 EDT 2000

Dear developers,

some weeks ago we discussed to release GRASS 5.0.0 stable
(and GRASS 5.1.0 experimental). The easiest way to
achive this would be to tag all stable modules with
a "GRASS_5.0.0_stable" tag (or similar).

You will have seen that I did not start this job. Reason
is that I think we need stable import/export modules
first before releasing a stable version. A GIS with
data exchange problems cannot be called stable without
annoying the users (especially the new users we want to
invite).

Another problem is that numerous modules exist twice or
more in modified versions. This confuses everybody.

What's the current status?
 Here is the list of *important* modules we should test and
 eventually update (complete?):

m.in.e00     - working o.k.
m.in.ntf     - working o.k. ?

r.in.arc     - working o.k.
r.in.arctiff - working o.k., but no FP TIFF, limitation: if r.in.tiff working
r.in.ascii   - working o.k.
r.in.bin     - limited to 4bit? (there was some discussion recently)
r.in.dem     - ?
r.in.doq     - ?
r.in.gif     - limited to 256 colors
r.in.png     - limited to 256 color palette
r.in.tiff    - on selected platforms working o.k., on Linux/PentiumII broken

-> r.in.tiff is important and should be fixed

r.out.arc     - working o.k.
r.out.arctiff - working o.k.
r.out.ascii   - working o.k.
r.out.png     - working o.k. (no limitations?)
r.out.tiff    - working o.k., but no FP TIFF
-> looking good

s.in.ascii    - working o.k.
s.in.dbf      - not existing (Andreas?)
s.in.gps      - not working - any replacement available?
s.in.grid     - ??

s.out.ascii   - working o.k.
s.out.e00     - working o.k. ?
s.out.gps     - not working - any replacement available?

v.in.arc      -|-> which one to keep
v.in.arc.poly -|   v.in.arc.poly shall fix open rings problem

v.in.arc.pg   - working o.k., but might be updated to v.in.arc.poly code

v.in.ascii    - working o.k.
v.in.atlas    - ?

v.in.dlg      -|
v.in.dlg.scs  -|-> we should remove two of them and keep the working version
v.in.dlg2     -|

v.in.dxf      -|- fixed yesterday -|
v.in.dxf2     -|- fixed yesterday -|
v.in.dxf3d    -|- fixed yesterday -| -> one v.in.dxf is enough!!
v.in.dxf3d.sh -|----------------   |

v.in.gps      - not working - any replacement available?
v.in.sdts     - working o.k. ?
v.in.shape    - working o.k.
v.in.shape.pg - working o.k., but needs synced with v.in.shape

v.out.arc      - working o.k., maybe spaces in output table need to be
                               adjusted
v.out.ascii    - working o.k.
v.out.atlas    - working o.k.?
v.out.dlg      - working o.k.?
v.out.dxf      - working o.k.?
v.out.e00      - not existing, important! (Michel?)
v.out.idrisi   - ?? keep it?
v.out.mapinfo  - ?? MapInfo 3.0 code
v.out.mif      - ?? keep it?
v.out.moss     - ?? keep it?
v.out.sdts     - working o.k.?
v.out.shape    - not yet working, close to be finished

r3.in.ascii  - working o.k.
r3.in.grid3  - ??
r3.in.v5d    - ??

r3.out.ascii - working o.k., but not yet sensitive to g3.region settings
r3.out.v5d   - working o.k., but not yet sensitive to g3.region settings

pg.in.dbf    - working o.k.

Internal conversion tools:
r.to.sites  - working o.k.

s.to.rast   -|    more or less working o.k.
s.to.vect   -|--> all sites modules require a new function to easily
s.to.rast3  -|    select which attribute shall be converted (in case of
                  multi-attribute table. Maybe the select function
                  implemented in s.surf.rst can be modified (there it
                  imports into quad-tree structure, we need a plain list
                  only). This shall be a option "field=<number>".

v.to.rast   - working o.k.
v.to.sites  - working o.k.

r3.to.sites - not written yet
r3.to.rast  - not written yet (I use g3.region to set one layer, then
                               r3.out.ascii, then r.in.ascii)

Working import/export modules are alpha and omega of an accepted
GIS system. So we should take care for this high priority.

Thanks for listening

 Markus

--
Dipl.-Geogr. Markus Neteler *  University of Hannover
Institute of Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology