[GRASS5] moving files with the mv command

John Huddleston jhuddleston at itc.nrcs.usda.gov
Mon Jun 5 13:37:18 EDT 2000

To the Grass developers,

I have made a new binary distribution of the Grass5 beta
based upon the current CVS code and given it to Markus
for placement on the server
http://hgeo02.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/
The older May 24th one is still there at this time.

However, in reviewing the files in the distribution I noticed
some executables did not make it over to the /usr/local area.
I checked into the Gmakefiles and see that some of these
files depend on the existence of an a.out executable which
is then moved via the "mv" command to the /usr/local area.

Please do not do this.  If you are creating new Gmakefiles
and makefiles, write the output target executable directly
to the $(GISBASE) area.  The windows compilers create
files with a .EXE extension so the move fails.   However,
if the target is specified correctly, then all works fine.  e.g.

PROG=$(GISBASE)/some_dir/myprog

$(PROG):   myprog.c
    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ myprog.c

This will correctly write out the executable to the /usr/local
area for both Unix and Windows.

Thank you,

John Huddleston, P.E.
Computer Engineer