[GRASS5] XDRIVER popup bug

Carl Anderson candrsn at mindspring.com
Wed May 24 01:02:02 EDT 2000

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > its stuff.  I hope that moving from file/fifo's to sockets help that,
> > so that nasty line can be dropped.
> Did you find time to look for that? I am just interested
> as the windows port (by John) requires such sockets.
> Maybe he or someone else could assist?

I finally got Cygwin and GCC2.95.2 up and running today.  I have some
sample
code but I want to try it out on Win32 before passing it on.  Socket
implementations have issues and sockets is a big change that needs
thorough
testing before acceptance.

Did you know that GTK has been ported to Win32 and can generate windows
without needing X.  After getting sockets up and running someone could
create
a g[0-9] driver.  This may overcomplicate or uncomplicate GRASS
monitors.

GTK/GLIB works with all the major players
Linux/BSD/SUN/SGI/HP/AIX/Win32/WinNT/Ultrix/...

So if it and X were supported by GRASS It could help portability.
I AM NOT SUGGESTING DROPPING X Support only adding a driver to allow
our Win32 friends to not have to add external software (X) to use GRASS.

my 2 cents.

C.
--
E-Mail: candrsn at mindspring.com