[GRASS5] Re: i.ortho.photo - XDRIVER bug detected

Carl Anderson candrsn at mindspring.com
Mon May 22 09:39:35 EDT 2000

Markus Neteler wrote:
> finally I could catch the error message!
>
>  X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  73 (X_GetImage)
>   Serial number of failed request:  1194

Markus and All,

This error is repeatable on Suns and intel
with
	d.zoom
	d.menu
	d.pan
	d.display
	d.rast.edit
	i.ortho.photo

The error is possibly coming from the library function
   D_popup()
I think negative window geometry is confusing it.  When the
placement of the popup is off screen (even partially) some of the screen
coordinates for the popup are negative.

Place the window (mon) off to the right side of screen so the popup can
be
fully seen but parts of the display are offscreen and
d.zoom seems to work ok.

I don't think this problem is specific to either my XDriver changes nor
Robert Flor's.

I will follow this lead to fix the problem, using d.zoom as my guide.

Remember GRASS's display model was designed in 1988, much, much before
windowed environments.
It would help to update some functions such as this to be X11 centric.
Popups could become
more of what we expect, actually becoming real popups.

I believe that there are 2 classes of displays
	non interactive
		CELL
		HTMLMAP
	interactive
		4105
		IGRAPH
		IRIS
		MASS
		SUNCORE
		SUNVIEW
		XDRIVER

For the non interactive displays, the interactive bits need to be turned
off
try
   d.mon start=CELL
   d.zoom
the functions need to know something of the abilities of the display
running,
and not try to use unsupported features.

For the interactive displays, the menus and popups and window management
are all
"clunky".  Sometimes we answer in the text window sometimes we answer in
the display.

Excepting for the "dumb" 4105 terminal, each of the vendors systems
(Intergraph,SGI,SUN) have
supported X11 since the early 1990's.  Maybe it is time to "prune"
support for these older hardware types, in favor of better support of
X11R4 and later.

Are there any graphical GRASS users who don't use X11 out there??

C.

Carl Anderson
Fulton County, Georgia
Environment & Community Development