[GRASS5] New initialization code

Robert Lagacé lagace at echo.grr.ulaval.ca
Thu Nov 30 10:29:16 EST 2000

Justin Hickey wrote:

> Hi Robert
>
> Robert Lagacé wrote:
> > We need to know that, on all SVR4 systems such as HP-UX 10 and 11, all
> > non OS software should be installed under /opt/.  So, Grass would be
> > in /opt/grass/bin/ and appropriate directories under /opt/grass/.
> > System admin is simplified because everything is under one directory.
> >
> > I will test the new configure under HP-UX when I will have time (in
> > two weeks).
>
> Hmm. Another "standard" local program install directory. Arrrgh. Well,
> the only thing I can think of is that we use some way in configure.in to
> detect HP-UX. What is the output of "uname -s" for HP's? If we can't get
> it installed in /opt by default, then you will have to use the --prefix
> and --bindir options for configure.

The output of uname -s is HP-UX.

I think that the last version of Solaris use this standard also and all
SVR4 compliant OS.

> By the way, what is the bin directory that appears in user's PATH's,
> /opt/bin/?

With a well configure application, the /opt/application/bin directory is
added to the user search path.  This solve a lot of admin problems.

> Thanks in advance for the test!!
>
> PS Cheers to a fellow Canadian! :)
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
> High Performance Computing Center
> National Electronics and Computer Technology Center (NECTEC)
> Bangkok, Thailand

Robert Lagacé, professeur
Pavillon Comtois
Université Laval