[GRASS5] New initialization code

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Tue Nov 28 23:44:06 EST 2000

Hi Markus

Markus Neteler wrote:
> > If the problem is that $(UNIX_BIN) is being defined as the same as
> > $GISBASE, then the problem is in configure, not the Gmakefile. If we
> > can't get a reasonable default for bindir in configure (either
> > /usr/local/bin - what it should be or /usr/bin - I disagree with
> > this but if that's the only way ok) then we will have to tell users
> > to use the --with-bindir option to configure.
>
> Hi Justin,
> I don't fully get  what you dislike, is it that I prefer "grass5" to
> be stored outside of $GISBASE?
>
> From the Linux view I would prefer this way:
> The average linux user who has a compile should be able to run:
>
> configure    # without annoying extra parameters
> make install
> grass5
>
> This startup script should go somewhere here:
> echo $PATH
> /home/neteler/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:.
>
> If you would have to copy it manually from $GISBASE/bin to
> /usr/[local/]bin,
> that's extra work... Perhaps you think the same?!

Yes we are thinking the same, I agree that grass5 should be in the path.
Perhaps the confusion is on my part. I was under the impression that you
thought that since grass5 is put into $GISBASE/bin by default that it
was a problem with the initialization script placing the grass5 script
in that directory. I'm sorry if this was the case. It is actually a
configure problem because in configure, the bindir was not defined
properly and was defaulting to /usr/local/grass5/bin thus the
$(UNIX_BIN) variable in the src/general/init/Gmakefile becomes
/usr/local/grass5/bin. My fix I found yesterday, (and will be committed
soon) solves this problem.

My disagreement with /usr/bin comes from system administration. Software
(or executables) should not be installed under /usr/bin since it
contains vendor supplied programs. The only changes I make under
/usr/bin is to create links to executables that replace programs in
/usr/bin. For example, I install the latest Tcl/Tk under /usr/local. I
need to create a link /usr/bin/wish so that scripts that begin with

#!/usr/bin/wish

will use the new wish command. Anyway, all non-vendor installed software
should go under /usr/local/bin not /usr/bin. At least that was what I
was taught about system administration.

Are we still not understanding each other? :)

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center