[GRASS5] AltiVec optimization

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at SierraMaps.com
Tue Nov 28 18:19:53 EST 2000

Hello,

I was looking in to optimizing GRASS for the AltiVec Velocity Engine
coupled within the G4 processor (running under MacOS X). One would
benefit from 1.5x to 11x fold improvement in performance!

I have started looking into it and it looks like if I used the
Altivec math libraries in place of the current math libraries, the
code would then be optimized.

Unfortunately it looks like fully understanding a robust
implementation is just a bit over my head.

If someone could take a look at:
http://developer.apple.com/hardware/ve/vector_libraries.html and give
me an idea as to how to proceed with the optimizations, and which
code would benefit most from the AltiVec unit, I think that Macs
could become the choice platform for GRASS.

Thanks,
--
Jeshua Lacock
Cartographer/Owner