[GRASS5] How to manage versions of perl and wish?

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Nov 27 05:01:50 EST 2000

Hi all,

currently we are facing two problems with version dependencies
and/or paths for scripts:

- perl: how to manage the different paths?
  Proposals:
    - write a *general* wrapper searching the perl location on startup
    - store it in GRASS environment and expand on script startup
      #! $(PERL)
      (is this portable?)

  Affected modules:
   - g.html2man
   - others?

- wish: unfortunately the version number is coded into wish. At least
  we have to check if only wish4.2 is installed (unsupported).
  Proposals:
    - write a *general* wrapper searching the wish name and location on
      startup (I have tried that for tcltkgrass, see bin/tcltkgrass)
    - store it in GRASS environment and expand on script startup
      (is this portable?)
  Affected modules:
   - tcltkgrass
   - nviz
   - d.dm
   - others?

We need an agreement here. The version numbers shouldn't be hardcoded into
the modules itself.

Regards

 Markus

PS: Just facing the problem:
 d.dm
 /usr/local/grass5/scripts/d.dm: exec: wish8.0: not found