[GRASS5] Win32 compile with cygnus ...

John Huddleston jhudd at lamar.colostate.edu
Fri Nov 24 10:43:32 EST 2000

Markus (Grass list)

I updated my cygwin to the latest, completely removed all grass
code from my drive, checked out grass5, and rebuilt grass5
with only one hitch.  The src/cmd/head file still is not right.
More details later, I uploaded the binary tar.gz to the incoming
directory.

http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/

I see the email about the w98.  Clearly, the cygwin code has
disclaimers about using it under Windows 98.  I used B20.1
of Cygwin when I used w98.   All the grass5 compiled nicely
with it. The B20.1 uses the cygwin32 convention though, and
the config.guess must be adapted to ensure

For those who have NT or Win2000, the install of Cygwin is
more robust than ever, does not conflict with Windows, allows
a Unix environment for windows users.  See the URL
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ and download the setup.exe
Execute it from windows explorer or the CMD line, not
from bash.  click Next-> first.

Next, it will prompt you to
o) download from the internet
o) install from internet
o) install from local

If you want the binaries (and sources) local, click the first
If you have limited space, click the second
If you have already downloaded from the internet, do the third

I download from the internet to my F: drive first
and then run setup a second time and install on
either my C: or D: drive.   The default is the C:\cygwin
which makes the root "/" equal to C:\cygwin.   I personally
do not like that since I cannot get at my C: files from /
so I override it with "C:\".  It warns me but goes
on.

Finally, the best part is that all the tcl/tk, png,tiff,
and other items required to build grass5 are included
with one exception, the libcygipc.a archive.

So, I am attaching the head file for your use.  Some
changes are yacc to bison -y, adding -lcygipc after
XDRLIB.  Rename cygwin.txt to the head file as
head.i686-pc-cygwin

Let me know if you need more assistance,

John Huddleston