[GRASS5] Win32 compile with cygnus ...

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Thu Nov 23 16:53:42 EST 2000

Hi Mike,

i don't dare to say, but for my first try with cygnus on Win i used an
old computer with Win 95 installed. I exported my local copy of the CVS
tree with samba from a linux machine and mounted it within the cygnus
shell. The multi-OS build of GRASS from a single directory tree works
really.

Now that i know that it generally works i use NT 4.0 SP5 on a computer
with 128 MB RAM. I think that Win 9x is generally not stable enough for
serious work. And i see no chance to get the X11 thing working on Win
9x.

cu,

Andreas

Mike Thomas wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I found the problem.  I swapped the Cygwin sh.exe (by default they use
> ash.exe) to bash.exe and the problem went away.
>
> Unfortunately the entire OS crashes not long after starting now!
>
> I'm using Win 98 with 64M of RAM and a spare gig of disk to build.
>
> Are you using NT4, NT2000 or W98?  My experience is that Cygwin is usually
> more stable under NT.
>
> > But i can not confirm this a cygwin bug.
> > With my cygwin setup (last updated one week ago) ./configure, make, make
> > install and gmake5 work.
>
> I've been updating regularly over that period and got the same problem all
> the time.
>
> > So you could try the following: update cygwin, do a make distclean and
> > ./configure && make && make install again. And/or do a cvs update -dP
> > before starting the new build.
>
> I have been using a completely fresh cvs copy each time.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike Thomas

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net