[GRASS5] Re: bug in configure routine

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Thu Nov 23 01:55:54 EST 2000

Hi Eric

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 02:51:39PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> > How about
> >
> > o XDRLIB empty for SGI machines
>
> SGI doesn't have XDRLIB? It's required for encoding rasters.  Anyway,
> if no special linking is needed for this, then $(XDRLIB) should
> evaluate to an empty string.  Currently I have it set for the three
> -lsun, -lnsl, and -lrpclib (if they exist).  Otherwise it now should
> come up empty.

Yeah it's strange. On SGI, the XDRLIB is usually -lsun, however, I
noticed that a lot of modules were indicating that -lsun wasn't being
used when I was compiling. So to determine which modules were dependent
on XDRLIB I went into the head file and made XDRLIB empty, and then did
a full compilation. Strangely enough, all the modules compiled without
any errors. That means that for SGI anyway, XDRLIB is not necessary. I
have no idea why it is not needed since obviously people have been
adding it for other machines - hence some functions in Grass need it.
Strange. Thus, it would be great if configure could set XDRLIB to empty
instead of -lsun for SGI's.

> > Also, is there a way to get configure to search in directories
> > unique to systems? For example on SGI the png and jpeg libraries are
> > not installed by default but can be easily installed under a
> > directory called /usr/freeware from their website. Is there a way to
> > tell configure to search /usr/freeware if the machine is an SGI? Or
> > do we need to provide an option to indicate which directory to
> > search?
>
> The "common" search directories can be looked for.  There's also the
> --with-includes and --with-libs directives.  I wasn't aware of this
> /usr/freeware separation with SGI.

Yeah, SGI has a page on their website for precompiled binaries of
freeware (most of the GNU programs are there along with a lot of other
stuff). But they bundle it into distributions that have pre-determined
target directories, in this case /usr/freeware. I assume the
--with-includes and --with-libs directives simply add on their values to
the default search paths? We'll have to put this in an IRIX FAQ or
something once we get configure working decently.

Oh yeah, do you recall that there is a dependency on some library for
r.in.gdal? I seem to recall reading a message indicating this, but I'm
not sure. Just thought I'd mention it.

Talk to you later.
--
Sincerely,