[GRASS5] GRASS module descriptions (3)

Michel Wurtz mw at teledetection.fr
Wed Nov 22 11:20:04 EST 2000

Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have checked in these modules with the
> ability to tell what they are for (<cmd> -help):

I run a "simple" script to show what's happening (see below)
and found the following infos :

d.colors, d.pan, d.save, d.what.sites, d.zoom,
Thoses commands give only the text help when a monitor is running
Without a running monitor, they print the following error message :
No graphics monitor has been selected for output.
Please run "d.mon" to select a graphics monitor.

d.site.pg, d.vect.pg, d.what.r.pg, d.what.s.pg, d.what.v.pg,
g.column.pg, g.stats.pg, g.table.pg, v.reclass.pg print :
Please run g.select.pg to identify a current database.

(I don't know what's happening with a selected database)

m.region.ll -help prints :
m.region.ll - must be in a UTM database

v.in.tig.basic -help prints :
ERROR: You are not in a UTM or Lat-Long location. Don't use this program.

v.in.tig.lndmk -help prints :
ERROR: Must be in UTM or Lat-Long location to use this program.

When the location is in UTM, m.region.ll,v.in.tig.basic and
v.in.tig.lndmk print a correct help message

r.gdbase, s.gdbase, v.gdbase print (on /dev/tty, not stderr!) :
working...
Unable to find the database file:

s.reclass -help prints :
Unable to find the input raster file:

r.mapcalc -help prints :
you have confused me

r.out.rlc -help prints :
r.out.rlc: -help  illegal option
usage: r.out.rlc [-v] input_layer output_layer

v.in.arc.pg -help prints :
 Coverage type:
Enter "polygon(area)" or "line"
Hit RETURN to cancel.

v.mkquads -help prints the escape sequence <ESC>[H<ESC>[2J
before the help for erasing screen and put the help on top

m.lulc.USGS -help prints :
Cannot open USGS CTG file

g.gisenv -help prints nothing

tcltkgrass launch itself, ignoring the -help option...

All interactive functions print only:
Usage : <name of the command>
    (This command must be run interactively)

On the other hand, some help messages are huge (75 lines...)

Sometimes, a blank line is printed before the "Usage:" string
this is also not consistent...
cd $GISBASE/bin
for f in ?.*; do echo '---> '$f; $f -help; done 2>&1 | more

hope this help
--
Michel WURTZ - DIG - Maison de la télédétection
               500, rue J.F. Breton